As the name says, UserTesting is a website that pays you for testing the websites and apps. UserTesting is an on-demand human insight platform that quickly gives companies a first-person understanding of their products and services. In simple words, UserTesting gives you access to the apps/websites and your job is to test the websites/apps by providing your valuable insights. As simple as that!
How do they pay?
UserTesting pays you 10$ for every test. Each test usually lasts for 10-20 min. So, they pay a decent amount. During the test, you need to record your screen concurrently with your audio by speaking out your thoughts aloud. They often conduct live conversations with clients, these tests pays you about 60$ depending on the length of conversation.
They pay through PayPal. Payments are sent precisely 7 days from the time you complete a test. You can easily average 200$ per month.
You will need to use a Mac or Windows computer to submit your sample test. If your application is approved, you can use a mobile device for future paid tests.
What should I do?
After clearing the sample test, you will start receiving the screeners on your dashboard. In a day we usually receive 10-20 screeners depending on your rating. Screeners are like the pre-qualification questions for the actual tests. Take the screener, answer the questions. If the test suits you, then you will be asked to accept the test. Provide thoughtful insights and get paid.
How do we register for UserTesting?
To be a test participant, you need to pass a sample qualification test. After qualifying the test, you will be accepted as a test participant for UserTesting.
- Visit app.usertesting.com
- On top right corner click on “Get Paid To Test”
- Enter your email address, accept the terms and conditions, and click on “Apply”
- You will receive an email with further steps. Follow all the steps to complete the sample test.
Once you upload the sample test, you will receive an email saying “Your sample video is in the process of being reviewed.” You will get your result within the next two business days; however, sometimes they may take up to seven business days. If you fail the test, usually they offer you to retake once again.
How to clear the qualification test in the first attempt?
- Find a quiet place.
- Use good quality earphones/headphones, preferably the ones with noise cancellation feature.
- Turn off the ‘fan’ to minimise the background noise.
- Keep the mic close to your mouth while you speak out your thoughts.
- If you are using a laptop, then unplug your charger while giving the test. No matter how quality earphones you use, most of the laptops make some internal noise while charging.
- Before doing the actual test plugin your earphones, open the voice recorder in your desktop/laptop and record your sample audio and listen to it. This is how you can know your flaws. Fix them!
- Most importantly, speak out. Remember there are no wrong answers here Tell them how you feel, talk about the images on the page, talk about the content, context, colours, font size, shape, speak out whatever you feel like. Provide your insights!
First Paid Test
Let’s imagine you followed all the instructions, qualified the test and completed your profile.
Probably this is the next question rolling in your brain.
I know your dashboard is empty. There is nothing you can do at this time but to wait. Login to your tester account, set up an auto refresher and wait. Your first test takes time. You see screeners rarely, so it might take up to a week or two to complete your first test. Don’t worry, this is usual.
Waiting for ‘Ding’ is a big mistake.
Most of the one/two step screeners flash away in seconds. Setup an auto refresher extension, so that the page reloads automatically and provides a push notification when a screener comes available.
Keep in mind, your first test is the most important of all.
“Rating” is the most crucial thing in UserTesting. You will see screeners on your dashboard based on your rating.
Once you complete your first paid test, the client will provide a rating based on your performance in the test. More the stars More the tests.
Always strive for five stars!
How to be a five-star tester
- If you qualify the screener, You will be provided with the scenario, before accepting the test and also there is 15min time before you start recording. What do you do at that time? Let me guess, you simply click on “starting recording” and give the actual test??
Let me tell you what I do…
I’ll take a screenshot of the scenario, and I’ll accept the test. Now I have 15min time in my hand. I’ll look at the scenario and predict the test. I will try to get familiar with the test. I will prepare a short introduction too. If you cannot think out loud instantly, then this is the only solution. In that 15min prepare for the test. Yes, you read it right. Predict the test, analyse it, and keep a note of the points. Using technical words brings more advantages.
- How will you do the tasks??
Let us assume that the task is to find the social media page for the website.
I presume you will say “I am scrolling down, I am looking for the social media page yes, here I can see that option, and I am clicking on it.” That’s how?
Let me tell you my way…
“I just clicked on the link and the page is loading. I noticed that the reloading speed of the page is excellent. I am on the landing page now, the interface seems refreshing. The images perfectly fit in the context. The header has all the information, which means the website seems very well organised. Now I am scrolling down, the font size and style were unique, colours were bright and decent. I am scrolling a bit more yeah finally I found the option. I am clicking on it.”
- At the end of the test, they will ask you to provide additional comments, questions, or suggestions. Provide them with some remarks and at last, show them some gratitude. Thank them for giving this opportunity and also praise their intention.
If the test is about App testing, then I would say “Thank you for this fantastic opportunity. As an app developer, I know how hard it is to develop such a great application; you must have a great team. I hope my insights were helpful. Once again thank you.”
If you have any further questions comment down below. Also you can mail me at email@example.com
Looking for online part-time jobs?
Lionbridge: The best way to make 500$ per month